Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Bangkok Rain

So, we are in the middle of the wet season here in Thailand. Put another way, it's the middle of winter. As most of you will know, there are 2 seasons in Thailand. Namely, hot and very hot. So, the hot season qualifies as winter.
          You may be forgiven for thinking that rain isn't a problem on a hot day. But we are not talking about a light shower here. When it rains, it rains. I'm talking about proper monsoon rain that comes down in a curtain and lashes without stopping for about half an hour. Then it eases off to just a torrential downpour. If you happen to get caught outside then you are done for. An umbrella will make no difference whatsoever. That's because you get wet from the bottom up.
          Let me explain. The drainage system in Bangkok is not the best to start with. Factor in all the rubbish that is littering the streets and it doesn't take much to block the drains up completely. You may be ahead of me by now. So, it's not uncommon for monsoon rain to put the streets under 2 feet of floodwater in no time.
          Now for the real kicker. It usually rains at about the same time every day. Any time between 3 and 4pm. This is exactly the time I'm going home from work. I live just a few minutes from Udom Suk BTS but if it rains the way I have described, then it doesn't matter how short my journey is. I will be a drowned rat inside 10 yards.
        Just a small price I have to pay for living in paradise!
If you have enjoyed this post, please hit the share buttons below. Many thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment