Tuesday, July 27, 2010

That Monday morning feeling

<>
Back in the UK i suffered badly from that Monday morning feeling for as long as i can remember. One of the sad facts of life about living in England is that most people spend a lifetime doing a job from which they take no enjoyment.  Spending at least 5 days a week doing something that we don't like can't be good for the soul. As we progress in years, if the employment is in any way physical, then it's not good for the body either.
                                      That Monday morning feeling starts with the same journey to work every day of your working life. The same monotonous route, seeing the same sad, depressed people at the same time in the same place every day. Every one of them shuffling along with shoulders slouched and a hunted look of unavoidable captivity about them. It's enough to bring you back down to the dumps even if you are in semi-good spirits yourself.

                                   Thankfully, things are a little different for me now. Sure, i see the same people every day but they greet me with a cheery wave and a genuinely happy smile. And it's worth remembering that these are people on their way to do a really tough days toil in hot, muddy fields for very little financial reward.                                    My route to work is also the same every day. But it's no longer through cold, grey, windswept streets. My journey to work now takes me on a road that runs parallel to a branch of the Chao Praya river. I often have to pinch myself back to reality as i drink in the vision of the sun beginning a new arc and the tendrils of early morning mist rising from the still waters beside me. As i cross the river and head towards town, the enormous golden Buddha on the hillside above Wat Takhli Yai keeps a constant silent vigil on the countryside for miles around.
                                   I still experience that Monday morning feeling but a sense of depressed loathing has been replaced with one of feeling good to be alive and very lucky to be where i am and doing what i'm doing.

8 comments:

  1. Tom, It's great to be alive and here in the LOS , no place on earth I'd rather be . Glad you're happy . Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention in the post that Monday is actually my day off. So if there is such a thing as that Tuesday morning feeling then i don't suffer from that either!
    Yes, you're right malcolm. It's great to be alive in LOS.
    Tom..............

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting comparison that you make. I'm pleased that you're so happy with your present situation, cameraphone requests notwithstanding....

    All the best, Boonsong

    ReplyDelete
  4. You haven't told me the bad news on the price yet so i'm guessing it was expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom I just came across your blog, it looks quite new so I guess I should say welcome to another Thailand based blogger.

    As an ex-teacher and Englishman I guess we may have a few things in common so I look forward to reading a few of your exploits in the future.

    Now remind me what are Monday mornings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mike, Thanks for checking in.
    I don't know why but i always seem to be having these exploits of which you speak,so i think there will be plenty to keep people interested.
    Regards........Tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tom. I just found you as well.

    I never suffered from the Monday morning blues in the UK (self employed, I was doing what I dreamed of doing).

    But what I found difficult were the grey days. And they continue to be difficult on my 2-3 trips back each year.

    Thailand has wonderful storms - all that crashing and booming and banging gets my blood flowing. But the UK has that constant wimpy, annoying drizzle = depressingly grey days.

    (Ok, there are some amazing sunny days, especially down in Devon).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Catherine and welcome to paradise found.
    I was based in Ramsgate in Kent and i suppose there were worse places to be in the UK. So i am lucky for that. But i always hated my jobs. Things are looking up now though!
    Tom........

    ReplyDelete